Getting Volunteers

  • Subject: [cg] Getting Volunteers
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 11:49:24 -0400

Monica Murphy wrote:

>Would like to possibly organize groups of volunteers to
>do gleaning projects- highschool or university students, or possibly
>Americorps/VISTA volunteers.
>Not sure exactly where to begin and we're looking for some concrete info
>on the logistics of actually starting such a program with teenagers.

I've found the best place to get volunteers is to set up a profile at
www.VolunteerMatch.org.  It's a well-constructed site that lets you put out
there all the info you need to and list exactly what types of positions
you're looking for.  Plus, the administrative (hidden) section lets you keep
track of everything nicely without filling up your own mailbox.

I've had the *best* success in getting volunteers for my community garden
through this site -- including groups as folks who have groups of folks who
need/want to do volunteer work are starting to access the site.  *Nothing*
else has worked as well -- it take a bit of time for folks to find you, but
it's worth taking the time to fill everything out.

Good luck!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of