RE: Detroit area gardens?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Detroit area gardens?
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:27:16 -0400

Here's a source for the journalist's lead paragraph - showing that community
gardens are not a new thing for Detroit ( this from the City Farmer
As stated in Alexandra Woodruff's 1995 paper, "Community Gardening: A
Vancouver Perspective" "Indeed, the first community gardens were started by
the mayor of Detroit in the 1890's as a result of a major economic
depression (Huff, 1990, 29). The reference cited: Huff, B. (1990). Greening
the City Streets. New York, New York: Houghton Mifflin Co.

Is Sylvan Lakes near Detroit? If so, Cyndi Ross should be a grand contact.
The journalist should also contact the Detroit botanic garden and the local
Michigan extension guys who should have leads at their fingertips.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman