RE: Organic Fertilizer

Title: RE: [cg] Organic Fertilizer

A while back, the Missouri Botanical Garden ran a bunch of tests on organic fertilizers in their test plots in the display gardens.  The hair won, plants were nearly double in size.  Go figure.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Call [mailto:jimcall@mail.casagarden.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 9:39 AM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: [cg] Organic Fertilizer

To All:
Recently, our CG has received a donation of organic fertilizer.  Now, don't get too excited.  Right now, I have 2 huge boxes of 5,000 individually wrapped organic fertilizer made from human hair.  I know you can throw hair in your compost pile but I never actually heard of using it as a soil amendment (going from barber shop to soil).

I've created a special page on my site that displays 2 pics (front and back) of one of these packets.  Please review at...  http://www.casagarden.com/sow_N_grow.htm

I apologized for the large graphics on this page but I wanted you to be able to read the packaging verbiage.

This organic fertilizer comes from a start up company here in Huntsville Alabama.  After reading some of the praising results on their website from a nursery which tested it, I noticed that this particular individual was also part of their "startup" team so I have to discount this particular testing.

I will begin testing some this week (planting another cycle of squash) in our garden, but I'm not sure how this stuff can beat horse, cow or chicken manure.

FYI- Huntville is rated in the top 10 cities in the US for "start up" companies.  Evidently, we have alot of laid off or bored engineers who come up with these "hair brain" ideas.

Jim Call, CASA Community Garden Volunteer Director

To post an e-mail to the list:  community_garden@mallorn.com