Very wild life on the community garden plots

  • Subject: [cg] Very wild life on the community garden plots
  • From: "Sharon Gordon" gordonse@one.net
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:33:07 -0400

These are from another community garden list and to add to the list of the
deer, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, birds, opossums, mice, and the crazy
bird lady.

1)I had a very odd encounter yesterday evening as I was putting my allotment
to bed.  I heard some rustling in the undergrowth and peered inside to see
what it was.  A bright orange ferret emerged blinking into the sunlight.  It
looked very tame so I stood still whilst it inspected me.  Having done so
quite politely, it equally politely sunk its teeth into my ankle.  I felt
rather foolish as well as startled and sore as I have never met a ferret
before and thought it looked rather cuddly.  My queries are, what damage
will a free range ferret do to our vegetables (and in my case a newly made
pond) and what strange beasties have others met in the pursuit of gardening?

2)As to strange animals on allotments, the most exotic one must be from
Leyton many years ago when one of the plot-holders turned from his digging
to see a tiger walking along the bottom of the allotment.  Had it been me I
would have disappeared rapidly but several plot-holders, forks in hand,
stood bravely in its way (or so they said) until handlers from the nearby
circus turned up.