Re: Starting from Scratch

Referring to Jane's request for info in starting a community garden.

First go to the ACGA website and read the section entitled "Community Garden Start up Resources"

Its address is... http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html

On fencing... If the garden is located in an urban environment (practically all fall within this category), I would strongly advise a 6' fence.  Most today are chain-linked.

On adding amendments...  Once you know the exact location of the garden, have a soil test conducted on the site.   It never hurts to add amendments to the soil in startup operations.  Because our soil is clayey in composition, we are always adding decomposed leaf mulch.

Garden Paths...   If you have the space available (most do not), I would advise making a primary traffic path wide enough for a truck.  This will help tremendously when loading and unloading materials in the garden.  If you do not have the space, make the center path at least 48" wide to accomodate 2 individuals walking side-by-side.  As an example, envision a garden layout in a square pattern with a cross centered within it.  This should be the primary traffic paths.

On opportunity...   Now is the time to do your "homework" on your CG.  Begin planning now and continually bouncing your ideas and questions off others who have experience or will be participating in this garden. After considering as many factors as you can, then make a decision to go forward or not with this opportunity.  Its a big decision.

I've found that being put in such a position is like moving into a glass house, there are many folks who like to throw stones.  Stay focused on your committment to make your community a better place.

Hope this helps,   Jim