pressure treated wood and other toxic advice by State Universities

  • Subject: [cg] pressure treated wood and other toxic advice by State Universities
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:43:02 -0400

To the poor dude who had the teacher with a school garden and a
horticultural extension  agent agree that it was safe to use pressure
treated wood for vegetable gardening with kids.

I volunteer as a Master Gardener and see the Penn State official stance as a
simple compromise with the corporate supporters of our public & private
school system.  Lots of people make their living selling toxic products...
They also are the folks who get on the directors boards at various Head
Start, PTA's as well as the elected officials who run our Land Grant
Colleges.  Money Talks and _ _ _ _ walks.   Adam says it so well,
unfortunately many will have to find a way to seal the toxic substances from
leaching into our eco system to salve their conscience and still keep their

May the God/Goddess or whatever help us all but don't fret too much, the
comet that we can do nothing about may get this evolution of man before the
poisons with which we kill ourselves.

 I know a lady whose mother was driven nuts a generation ago because her
husband had to sell cigarettes in his store to make a living and she knew
that it was unsafe.  The health care system has caught up with that poor
woman but she is not with us because her mental balance deteriorated to the
extent that she could not deal with all the toxic substances she had to
sell.  Don't commit suicide over the things you can only alter slightly,
keep working on educating folks.

With Love and Prayer,
Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.