Re: Misplaced Plants in the Garden

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Misplaced Plants in the Garden
  • From: scolli@columbus.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:54:00 -0400

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent herbicide.  Corn gluten meal is a by-product of processing corn and is used in animal feed.  I understand that it is sprinkled onto soil and then it kills weed seeds as they germinate, as pre-emergents do.  It can be purchased as a commercial organic herbicide and is expensive, however, it can also be purchased very inexpensively at graineries and feed stores, as plain old corn gluten meal.  It was discovered by accident by a researcher at Iowa State University.  From what I've read, proteins in the meal inhibit root formation at the time of germination.  Timing would be an important factor in the effectiveness of this. I have no personal experience with this but always thought it would be fun to try.  Sounds like it could be a real winner in a large garden.  Check out the link below.
Also, when using newspaper as a mulch, wet it before placing it on to keep it in place (dipping in 5 gallon buckets of water works).  Covering the newspaper after it is placed with straw or leaves keeps the paper in place throughout the season.  Yes, this is labor intensive, but so is weeding!
Happy Gardening!