LA Community Gardens--roster, highlights

  • Subject: [cg] LA Community Gardens--roster, highlights
  • From: Yvonne Savio ydsavio@ucdavis.edu
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:24:42 -0700

Hi, Kevin Lampone and Adam Honigman--and everyone else interested in LA's community gardens--

I've attached our roster of active community gardens.  This is a more current version than what's on our website.

Thanks, Adam, for beating me to the response!  Always nice to have other folks network our info, especially in case I'm not available (e.g., I'm leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks, including next weekend's ACGA conference and board meeting!)

Kevin and others who might visit in the future--
1.      Try to contact me sooner before your trip, so we can discuss your preferences on the phone, and I can make some recommendations of specific gardens that might serve you better
2.      Here're some highlight gardens and their special traits, for you to choose to visit--
--Altadena--largish garden, friendly group of ethnically diverse folks
--Beacon House--half-way house for former alcoholics, garden produce feeds residents
--Crenshaw--newly vibrant, tiny garden of diverse ethnics and languages whose only common "language" is gardening
--Echo Park--most active in fundraising and producing derivative products (e.g., honey), classic transformation from dilapidated "crack" house to thriving garden.
--Enrique Noguera--beautiful design and construction by landscape architect, partnership with neighborhood police department
--Food Bank--across from LA Regional Food Bank, 300+ plots of mostly Spanish-speakers, lots of intra-gardener selling of Spanish ethnic products (nopales, etc)
--Francis Avenue--tiny inner-city lot of Spanish speakers, garden originally sponsored by ARCO and neighborhood church, now successfully almost-sustainable by grants supporting garden manager and cultural outreach manager
--North Hollywood High School--thriving partnership with next-door high school horticulture department and student community service requirement, and with Dave Wilson Nursery (fruit trees)
--Ocean View Farms--one of the oldest (30+ years), largest (400+ plots), and most organized (committee structure)
--Proyecto Jardin--initiated by doctor from hospital next door for horticulture therapy; truly communal--no individual plots; yoga classes, state-of-the-art exercise mat, mural, wrought-iron gate
--Rosewood--small inner-city pocket garden highlighted by city councilman
--Solano Canyon--literally at a freeway off-ramp, combined with Urban Forest and Orchard (UFO!) project funded to develop horticultural , managing, and life skills in conjunction with Dome Village homeless shelter.
--Summit Avenue--effective partnering with city services and student community service requirement.
--Vermont Square--exemplary effort by one passionate gardener intent on fostering neighborhood participation

About 50 of the 60 active gardens have resident Master Gardeners--I repeatedly "badger" the garden managers to send some of their gardeners through our Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program, with their required volunteer time accomplished within their gardens and developing workshop opportunities for other MGs, hence fostering great networking, communication, and dissemination of our University of California Cooperative Extension science-research-based horticultural information and techniques.

Yvonne Savio
Common Ground Garden Program Manager
University of California Cooperative Extension in Los Angeles County
4800 E. Cesar Chavez Ave., Los Angeles 90022
Phone:          323-260-3407
Fax:            323-881-0067
Email:          ydsavio@ucdavis.edu
Website:        celosangeles.ucdavis.edu (click on "Common Ground Garden Program")
Master Gardener Email Gardening Helpline:  mglosangeleshelpline@ucdavis.edu
Master Gardener Phone Gardening Helpline:  323-260-3238

Volunteers of the Common Ground Garden Program help low-income and limited-resource county residents to grow and eat more nutritious vegetables and fruits.  Programs include Master Gardener volunteers (seasonal gardening presentations) and Fresh From The Garden volunteers (simple nutrition and food safety presentations).  We work primarily with community gardens, school gardens, and homeless and battered women's shelters.