Re: Charges for community gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Charges for community gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:43:51 EDT

Everything has a price in the real world.  My line, and you heard it here
first, is..."Community Gardens Don't Grow on Trees!" This is one of the lines I
use while selling Clinton Community Garden t-shirts, baseball hats and other
items on the street during the 9th Avenue Food Festival and garden events. We
can't buy garden hoses, piping, plants and soil amendments with good intentions
- money talks here, and we know what walks....

There are two way that I know of that gets you community gardens:

Either you and your neighbors create them yourselves, investing thousands of
hours of collective sweat-equity in cleaning out crime-ridden lots stewn with
rubble,  vermin and garbage, and then doing the political work necessary to
create support for your garden in your community and with your elected officials
so you don't get bulldozed, get hooked up with foundation funders  and water

or

You have a nice municipal parks dept/land trust that creates the bare bones
of one of these and charges you for a pro-rated part of the cost of maintaining
this kind of facility in the way that it charges for permits for municipal
golf and tennis courts.

Either way, land is not free, nor is the creation and maintenance of  a
public facility/ greenspace.

Second idea, and I've been talking this one up for a long time:  "Community
gardening is not an entitlement program, it is an opportunity to serve your
community. Community gardening is the creation by some members of the community
of a public garden for the whole community. It may be primarily to raise food
for low income residents, a decorative public botanic garden or both, but a
community garden can't just be a green space, it needs to serve its community"

One way or another, community gardens have to justify their existance in
competition with other valid recreational activities and as a land use.

Another line, "Community Gardening is  the only form of recreation that feeds
people."

Honestly, when all  folks really want to do is just garden and not do the
renovation, political and other work that having a community garden requires,
it's a good thing to have these "grounds" fees.  People respect what they have to
pay for if they were not the ones who created the garden themselves with
their own sweat-equity....it's human nature.  A community garden requires
investment of self, time and money.  If self and time are not invested, then you have
to take the money.

The Clinton Community Garden does not have fees, per se - we charge $5 for
the front garden key, because that's what a Medico key costs us.  We have a wait
list for our 108 back garden plots, but we don't charge a yearly rental fee,
or for soil amendments, use of garden tools and the like - we are a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit corporation and are able to accept charitable cash and in-kind
donations from nurseries and hardware stores for out-of-season equiptment and
the like.  A grant from the Astor foundation got us our front gate and the
piping for water brought in from the street.  The water, occasional soil
donations and repairs to the fence and benches are the contributions from the Parks
Dept. The trade off is that our garden is parks land run like a volunteer fire
house that costs them nothing in terms of man hours or repairs. To read more
about what we do, and it's a bloody lot of work, please go to our website  <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton Community Garden</A>

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,

<< Subj:     RE: [cg] Charges for community gardens