Re: VEGETABLES IN THE FRONT YARD?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] VEGETABLES IN THE FRONT YARD?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:01:29 EDT

Shane laid out the process pretty well. Getting small things done that are good, within a legislative context, or a code change, unless there is big money in it for that change, is hard.

In a democracy, it takes time to change ordinance and the rules that we all agree to follow. Discarding an old-style ordinance about front garden vegetable gardening  will be hard, simply because of the weight of custom, the amount of folks who buy into the green front lawn as a way of life.  To read mainline gardening magazines, the guy or gal who turns their front lawn into a perennial plant garden is "visionary."

Maybe if a few folks decided that their front garden veggies would have a "row for the hungry," and argue that this "front lawn ordinance," was taking the food out of the mouths of the community's homeless, senior citizens, children, families and the food insecure.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman

Subj: RE: [cg] VEGETABLES IN THE FRONT YARD?