Community and botanic gardens in Australia/New Zealand?

  • Subject: [cg] Community and botanic gardens in Australia/New Zealand?
  • From: Yvonne Savio <ydsavio@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:27:33 -0700

Hi, Community Garden folks--

I'll be traveling to Australia this October and want to visit community gardens and botanic gardens.  I'm particularly interested in edibles and perennials.  For example, at Adelaide Botanic Garden, I'll want to visit the Economic Garden, Museum of Economic Botany, and Plant Biodiversity Center.

We'll be traveling by tour train for two weeks between Sydney and Darwin, with brief scheduled visits to the botanic gardens at Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide.  We'll have a couple of days in Sydney at the beginning of the trip, and then a "free" week following arrival in Darwin.  I'd seen a Victory Garden television program years ago on the "Botanic Ark" and Queensland Tropical Garden in Cairns, so thought we might go there.  Another option is to go to Perth, Brisbane, or New Zealand.  Too many possibilities for the time we have, but I'd like your thoughts--or of anyone you might know who would have some suggestions.  Please pass along my query.

Thanks so much!

Ciao for now.

Yvonne Savio
Common Ground Garden Program Manager
University of California Cooperative Extension in Los Angeles County
4800 E. Cesar Chavez Ave., Los Angeles 90022
Phone:  323-260-3407
Fax:            323-881-0067
Email:          ydsavio@ucdavis.edu
Website:        celosangeles.ucdavis.edu (click on "Common Ground Garden Program")
Master Gardener Email Gardening Helpline:  mglosangeleshelpline@ucdavis.edu
Master Gardener Phone Gardening Helpline:  323-260-3238

Volunteers of the Common Ground Garden Program help low-income and limited-resource county residents to grow and eat more nutritious vegetables and fruits.  Programs include Master Gardener volunteers (seasonal gardening presentations) and Fresh From The Garden volunteers (simple nutrition and food safety presentations).  We work primarily with community gardens, school gardens, seniors, and homeless and battered women's shelters.