Help Needed to Save the South Berkeley Community Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Help Needed to Save the South Berkeley Community Garden
  • From: Marco Barrantes <marcoseed@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:28:19 -0700 (PDT)

Dear folks,

After 17 years as a community asset, the South
Berkeley Community Garden is for sale at the market
value of $445,000. The garden is being liquidated as
part of a large estate of a deceased Berkeley man. The
community gardeners and our nonprofit have the option
to purchase it, but the asking price exceeds our
treasury by several orders of magnitude. Our deadline
is Friday, July 23, one week from today.

We are seeking angels who wish to invest in
irreplaceable Berkeley open space and reap tax
benefits as well. The legal structure of any
arrangement is open to negotiation.

For more details, there is a good article about it in
the Berkeley Daily Planet today:

Please help in avoiding this imminent travesty. If you
can assist in any way, please contact me.

Daniel Miller
Executive Director
Spiral Gardens Community Food Security Project
510-843-1800 fax
2838 Sacramento St.
Berkeley, CA 94702

Please forward as appropriate.