Anybody seen Vermont's new law?

  • Subject: [cg] Anybody seen Vermont's new law?
  • From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:25:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, all,

I'm about to abandon my fields for a week to go play
music in Vermont. While looking for Bennington's
weather, I literally stumbled across the following
bill while googling. I believe the Vermont legislature
has passed it. Does anyone know more? Do any other
states have anything similar?

I note, with a twinge of regret, that a group that was
once ACGA's 'sister' organization, the NGA (formerly
Gardens For All) is mentioned prominantly, but ACGA
not at all. It is all too easy to understand the
historical reasons contributing to this, but it does
serve to illustrate - to my instinctive collaborator's
mind - how important it is to keep lines of
communication and cooperation open between groups
working toward similar goals.

ACGA or no, this is a very valuable step, worth a big
hurrah! for Vermont.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC

btw, while going through the old issues of the Journal
of Community Gardening for the upcoming '25th
anniversary/best of ACGA' issue of the Greening
Review, who should I find on one of our covers but
John Kerry! Same Yankee Clipper figurehead expression
but with much more hair, Beatle-style. He appears on
the cover of the Summer '83 edition (vol2, no.2)
'Legislation and Initiatives'. Kerry, at the time Lt.
Gov. of Mass., is one of a trio of state officials
shown planting a tree beside the Charles River in
Boston.

Have found several bushes, but no Bush - yet.

Here is the text of the Vermont bill:

Joint resolution supporting the establishment and
expansion of community, neighborhood, and youth
gardens.

Whereas, community gardens enable individuals to
improve their nutritional practices and gain control
over the quality, variety, and cost of their food
supply, and

Whereas, community gardening encourages Vermonters of
diverse cultural and economic backgrounds to work
together, foster a better sense of community, and
improve the quality of their lives, and

Whereas, community gardens and other green spaces
provide a more livable environment in Vermont?s
municipalities and present a positive local image to a
community?s residents and visitors, and

Whereas, community-based youth and school gardening
programs encourage personal self-esteem and a healthy
attitude toward learning, and

Whereas, community gardens provide an important and
nutritious source of fresh produce donations for local
food pantries and social service agencies, and

Whereas, community gardening and greening projects
cultivate volunteers and community leaders who
preserve open spaces and establish new gardens for
both present and future generations, and

Whereas, in 1972, Tony Thompson founded Gardens for
All, the organization responsible for the development
of community gardens in Vermont, and

Whereas, that organization, now known as the National
Gardening Association, along with municipal park and
recreation departments, the UVM Master Gardeners, 4-H
Ag in the Classroom, Friends of Burlington Gardens,
Food Works, and the Vermont Campaign to End Childhood
Hunger are all promoting the continuation and growth
of community gardens, and

Whereas, the city of Burlington serves as a national
model for developing sustainable community gardens,
now therefore be it

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives:

That the General Assembly supports cooperative efforts
among state, local, and nonprofit agencies to promote
the development and expansion of community gardens and
to increase their accessibility to disadvantaged
population groups, and be it further

Resolved:  That the General Assembly supports the
efforts of nonprofit organizations, including Friends
of Burlington Gardens, the National Gardening
Association, Food Works, and the Vermont Campaign to
End Childhood Hunger, to secure grant funding for the
furtherance of community gardening, and be it further

Resolved:  That the Secretary of State be directed to
send a copy of this resolution to each of the
nonprofit organizations listed in this resolution, to
the Vermont Recreation and Parks Association, and to
Maggie Leugers, the city of Burlington?s
superintendent of recreation.