RE: zoning/permits for community gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] zoning/permits for community gardens
  • From: "utahgardens" <utahgardens@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:30:36 -0600

Again, government at it’s worst, and that is coming from my governmental capacity. This is again why I think Jefferson had it right when he said that That Government the Governs less Governs best.

Robin,

This is such as new animal for many Western Cities to deal with. They follow the letter of the law on community gardens, while they frequire 20% open spaces in planned unit development projects and wont count gardens towards that 20%.

I serve on the AGCA Board and also run ( as a volunteer )a community gardening organization in Utah. My career is Real Estate and I am on the city council for a city just outside Salt Lake City. I can tell you from my experience that planning departments need to be better informed on the real use of community gardens; building community. Ask them if they require a person to have ag land to grow their own garden for their own consumption from their own home. Probably not. Why then do the require the same land use to be in an ag zone if it is now a shared use.

Here is a shameless plug. Get those folks interested enough to come to the ACGA conference this year in Toronto. There will be a pre-conference workshop just for government employees on how community gardens help their communities.

In the mean time. I would love to try to help if I can. Please email, outside of the listserve, the name of the town you are in and the number of the city hall. I would be glad to see if I can help explain some advantages to this and perhaps some ideas they may consider in how they deal with your request.

Also please let me know

The size of ground you are looking for

How many people are involved

Do you have ground on your church to do this

Is the food for your members or is part for the poor

The population of your town

These things will give me a better sense of what I can say to them.

Thanks

Shane Siwik

ACGA Board Member

Utah GARDENS