RE: zoning/permits for community gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] zoning/permits for community gardens
  • From: "Scott Keller" <skeller@ci.beaverton.or.us>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:10:39 -0700

Hi Robin –

The City of Beaverton, Oregon opened its third community garden this year and one of the primary issues we had to work through was that of zoning.  Our garden spot was located in an area zoned “high density residential” which did not go over well initially with the planning staff.  Ultimately it was determined that a “garden” was essentially a type of park or green space that was allowed in that type of zone.  We did have to go through several months of work and permitting, but ultimately had it approved.

SCOTT KELLER
Auxiliary Services Program Manager
Office of the Mayor
City of Beaverton