Non Profit Type for community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Non Profit Type for community gardens
  • From: jsalans@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:05:12 -0400

Friends,

Can those of you who have created a non-profit to build your community gardens tell me what type of 501c3 you have created (Public Charity vs. Private Foundation or some other)?

Also, are there any community gardens that limit the length of time a garden bed is leased to one owner? The City of Sunnyvale is at the moment arguing that we should have automatic turnover of garden beds to give "everyone" a chance to garden. I say allow attrition to take care of this and if there is more demand then beds than all the more reason to create another community garden location.

Thank you,

Josh Salans