Plant ID, please!?

  • Subject: [cg] Plant ID, please!?
  • From: Carola Clasen gardenways@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:05:22 -0700 (PDT)

Fellow Gardeners,

Does anyone recognize this (in my opinion) hideous
I found it in a large pot of edibles as I was
watering. The force of the water probably knocked it
off it's "base," so I first noticed the "blossom" part
lying on the soil under the leaves of a bush bean.
At first, I thought it was a large, pink slug... even
after touching it. Yuk.
The blossom part is 5 inches long and hollow inside.
The "pod" part, still in the soil, is white and
leathery. Also hollow inside.
This is in southern California. Perhaps it came in
with the potting soil?
I think it is probably carnivorous, as it gives off an
offensive odor.
PLEASE tell me what it is so I can take it out of my
refrigerator and dispose of it.
Thank you,

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Blossom]