Community Garden being reborn!

  • Subject: [cg] Community Garden being reborn!
  • From: "Bill Maynard" sacgc@ulink.net
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:25:04 -0700

you might remember reading on this listserve about a downtown Sacramento
Community garden (Ron Mandella Community Garden) that was shut down after 30
years due to development and contaminanted soil...

some good news....although the development was build.. 1/3 of the garden was
allowed to remain and will be transfered to the city parks n rec dept after
the garden is built by CADA - Capitol Area Development Authority (the site was
cleaned to a depth of 24" to 42" through a grant from the california EPA
brownfields program (approx $400,000) with soils tests before, during and
after the cleaning.. and testing of the new soil as well.   With this cleaning
going on.. we offered sign ups for plots for the future garden to be
constructed with in 6 months (fall 2006) we did this to both test the interest
and to gather gardeners to help build and fund raise for the gardens

2 hours before the meeting, people started lining up for the 50 plots, and by
the time the meeting started at 5:30pm there were over 30 persons in line for
garden plots!  the meeting was to give an overview of the project and also
have folks sign up and give a $25 deposit on their future garden plot. the
mayor also attended and praised the efforts and the need for more gardens.  by
the end of the meeting 45 of the 50 garden plots had been reserved.; and in
the next few days 49 of the 50 plots were spoken for... the one remaining plot
is one of 4 ADA accessible plots.

we knew there was a need and interest for the garden, we expected to sign up
about 1/3 to 1/2 of the plots...as a side note.. only 3 of the Ron Mandella
Gardeners signed up for plots (the garden had been closed for 2 years during
the construction of the apartments)

the gardeners started working on their first fund raiser a wine tasting /
silent auction and Art work silent auction...while some were unsure of this
event...flyers, radio, emails all got the info out ... ticket sales were at
about 100 the day before the event ($25each)..

the fund raising committee along with councilmember Rob Fong amd his staff
rolled up their sleeves, planned the event and found fantastic silent auction
and raffle ticket prizes! approx $3500-$4500 in prizes...

we had a great turn out that night
we went through 300 wine glasses at the 1/2 way point... and by the end of the
event we were nearly to 400 room capacity!!

what a success!

have to mention that one of the silent auction items was 18 holes of golf with
councilmember Rob Fong and the City fire chief...that went for $600 !

we are now working on getting donations for the garden with construction
planned for the early fall.  as bids came in almost double the estimated costs
($300,000)  .. we are phasing the garden and planning to organize the
gardeners and others to help build the garden with the gardeners and others
help and not bid it all out (as was required by CADA being a public agency).
stay tuned for more details!

See you at the conference!

Bill Maynard
ACGA board member, Sacramento