[cg] US-Brazil food banks & community gardens

Dear Friends,

I thank very much each one of you who has helped me to learn so much on food
banks and community gardens in the US.
The information is available on my site for you all, as it may be of interest
for others as well  (the organizations and people who have already offered
support and visitation - those actually to be visited - will be contacted next

The history:
Maria Luiza and Jacqueline, both Brazilian students will travel to the US as
winners of a contest of monographs about food security promoted by FAO,
ACDI-VOCA ( http://www.acdivoca.org ) and the Organization of Brazilian
Cooperatives - OBC.  Please, click below to look at a picture of both winners
receiving their award from FAO director in Brazil and OBC board members:

First, Luiza asked me for help to identify food community and garden community
programs to visit, mainly in DC and Boston areas. I asked for help on the
Internet and I got the messages copied below and others (previous ones) that
can be read here: http://www.partners-bsbdc.org/food.htm

Then (last Friday) OBC executive director, Celso Claro de Oliveira, called me
to thank me for help to the winner of their contest and then asked me to help
also the other winner, Jacqueline, to also find interesting programs on food
security to visit. (including hosting when possible, because FAO provided only
the travel grants). Another point: this travel must start on the first days of
August and be 20-25 days long, so they can be back to their University
classes, after the vacancy time.

For practical reasons, I am planning to send both to DC first (I have already
some programs and gardens to visit, but we welcome others around), from August
4 or 5 to August 15, and then Luiza goes to Boston (where a friend will host
her) and Jacqueline needs an idea coming from you, to have another experience
in a different region of the US. She studies Social Science, is
particularly interested in child care, if possible in a cooperative basis, and
in child food security and nutritional education. She speaks better English
than Luiza.

I thank you very much for your interest and possible help. Besides helping two
nice Brazilian students to grow in their capacity to help Brazilian poor to
improve their living, you will help me to address a solicitation coming from
OBC and FAO. OBC is also the representative of ACDI-VOCA for Brazil.  I
suppose that my-our support to their request will tap their support for my-our
community garden and urban agriculture project for Brasilia and then

Please visit: http://www.partners-bsbdc.org/provho01.htm to find some pictures
of the latest gardenmicrocredit program that I am helping to develop in a very
miserable community only 10 miles from the center of Brasilia, the
presidential palace, the embassies (USAID and CIDA included), the IDB and the
World Bank...
Best wishes,
Yours, Joaquim

Joaquim, < Boston Area >
You might try contacting B.U.G. [Boston Urban Gardeners], who are involved
with both community gardening and community greening.  I know about B.U.G.
from David Els at the American Gardening Association in Burlington, VT.,
and he could probably give you their number.
Erik Shapiro
J., < Pennsylvania Area >
We have an excellent city-wide community gardening program here as well.
Information and perhaps tour arrangements may be got through Penn State's
Urban Gardening Program   philadelphia@psupen.psu.edu
Libby J. Goldstein
J., < Boston Area >
Since I work in Boston I thought I'd try to send you what little info I have
on the area's Food Bank and Community Gardens.
There is the Greater Boston Food Bank located at 99 Atkinson St. in Boston
and the phone number for them is 617-427-5200.
I know there are several Community Gardens around Boston but not sure of all
the names and places. The only one I could come up with that you might try
to contact is a group at the following:
South End/Lower Roxbury Open Space Land Trust
Phone number is 617-437-0999
Also in the city that I live in just outside of Boston we have several
community gardens. That is in Lynn, Mass.
Hope this is of some help.
J., < Boston Area >
Community gardens do not have strong connections to our local food bank(s)
here in Boston.  There is The Food Project's youth agriculture program
which donates some food to food pantries and sells at a Farmers Market.
There are also 2 church/food bank programs and 2 women's shelters with
gardens.  Otherwise, we have an extensive network of about 200 gardens
where about 6000 individuals and families raise food for themselves and
friends.  I'd be pleased to help show around and make introductions.
Although, I will be away until Aug. 20 or so.
Betsy Johnson - Garden Futures
J., < Connecticut Area >
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but the City of New Britain
CT is in the middle of a large project to renovate 10,000 sq ft of commercial
space, 40,000 sq ft of greenhouse space and nearly 5 acres of land in our
poorest neighborhood into a certified organic farm.  To date the land has
been planted and construction on the buildings will begin mid to late August.
This project is being done with a combination of public and private funding
sourses and is set up as a Community Based Development Organization.  Its
board of directors is made up of neighborhood residents as well as people who
work in the neighborhood.
The farm named "Urban Oaks"  will begin to sell its produce on 7/17/99.
If this is of interest to you please contact me at:
Kenneth A. Malinowski