counting Chicago's community gardens

Hello community gardeners,

We here in Chicago are establishing a comprehensive database of all
community horticulture and food production projects.  The projects will be
categorized according to function (ornamental, edible, educational, market…)
and type of site ( lot, streetscape, public or private facility, school…).
The initial goal is to have at least the basic demographic details of these
projects, which in and of itself will be no small job.   Then, as resources
permit, other details will be added, including links to the people involved,
the projects’ funding sources, and physical features of the site.

I’m writing to you all here to ask if anyone has any experience or advice on
any similar survey projects.  I am familiar with the ACGA national surveys,
and I have read a few other survey research projects to see what data they
collected.  But I’d be interested in any other recommendations on sources,
or; if you’ve done a survey project, what fields (categories) of information
you collected.  Of course, we’d be happy to share what we’re doing as well.

Another question has to do with making this information accessible to
others.  We have considered putting it on the Web, if

If you want to respond to me directly, you can email me at
maisaacson@hotmail.com; or, if you think this topic or your reply is of
general interest, just respond via the listserve.   Thank you.