RE: Update -Community Garden survey: How many is we in NYC? E

Even more numbers:

Hi Owen:

The "official" number of vacant lots in New York City is 11,000.

Prior to November, 1998, Garden preservationists were using numbers that
ranged up to 14,000 vacant lots in the City, and we couldn't get an
authoritative answer from the City as to what the exact number was. No
one ever "got back to us," even after several requests to the City
Council, the Mayor's office, and various people supposedly in the know.

At a public meeting at Hunter College in the late fall of 1998, a panel
was led by Steve Frilman, Luis Acosta of Williamsberg, two other garden
proponents, and GerriLee Pearin (sp?) of HPD.

Several of us in the audience pushed her to answer as specifically and
authoritatively as she could the exact number of vacant lots in the City
that HPD could account for.

We finally got her to admit in public that the true HPD number at that
time was 11,000.

For further information, and a specific list, which does exist in City
(probably HPD) records, perhaps your City Council member can help you.

Best,
Andrew Lawrence