Re: Office Spraying

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Office Spraying
  • From: "Cyndy Ross" <cynross@tir.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:34:47 -0400

Here in Michigan if you are sensitive to or allergic to chemical
pesticides/herbicides/...."cides" you can register with state department of
agriculture.  Once you are registered your name & contact information goes
on a list.   Then, by state law, all companies (individuals are not given
this list) spraying/applying these offending elements are required to give
you 24 hours notice.  I believe these companies gain a high risk of losing
their license if they fail to contact you.  "Contact" could be no more than
leaving a message on an answering machine without varification you recieved
the message.  There should be some similar contacting or more efficient
methods in all states as by federal law these companies cannot tell you the
product(s) is (are) "safe".  Only that the chemicals are being applied as
per the guidelines of the EPA & that any 'contamination is within acceptable
limits'.

It should be noted that in order to get on the list the department of
agriculture (in Michigan) will send you forms to be filled out by you & your
doctor.  Dept. of Ag. doesn't want people on the list who just plain don't
like the applying process.  They want a doctor's diagnosis of the
reaction/sensitivity to the chemicals.  Technically this means having a skin
sensitivity test(s) with the actual chemicals being used.  My knowledge is
based on my personal experience when my next door neighbors had their lawn
sprayed & I developed a severe asthma attack....while pregnant!  Needless to
say, my doctor (who treats my asthma & allergies as well as other family
members' allgeries) agreed to skip the skin test.