hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: Office Spraying

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Office Spraying
  • From: "Cyndy Ross" <cynross@tir.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:34:47 -0400

Here in Michigan if you are sensitive to or allergic to chemical
pesticides/herbicides/...."cides" you can register with state department of
agriculture.  Once you are registered your name & contact information goes
on a list.   Then, by state law, all companies (individuals are not given
this list) spraying/applying these offending elements are required to give
you 24 hours notice.  I believe these companies gain a high risk of losing
their license if they fail to contact you.  "Contact" could be no more than
leaving a message on an answering machine without varification you recieved
the message.  There should be some similar contacting or more efficient
methods in all states as by federal law these companies cannot tell you the
product(s) is (are) "safe".  Only that the chemicals are being applied as
per the guidelines of the EPA & that any 'contamination is within acceptable

It should be noted that in order to get on the list the department of
agriculture (in Michigan) will send you forms to be filled out by you & your
doctor.  Dept. of Ag. doesn't want people on the list who just plain don't
like the applying process.  They want a doctor's diagnosis of the
reaction/sensitivity to the chemicals.  Technically this means having a skin
sensitivity test(s) with the actual chemicals being used.  My knowledge is
based on my personal experience when my next door neighbors had their lawn
sprayed & I developed a severe asthma attack....while pregnant!  Needless to
say, my doctor (who treats my asthma & allergies as well as other family
members' allgeries) agreed to skip the skin test.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
To: "'Powers, Stephanie'" <Stephanie.Powers@caminus.com>;
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:14 AM
Subject: RE: [cg] Office Spraying

> Stephanie,
> For this you should contact the USEPA, your state and city environmental
> protection agencies for the relevant statutes and regulations for your
> Remember, of course that rules and practice differ greatly,
> Best wishes,
> Adam Honigman
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Powers, Stephanie [mailto:Stephanie.Powers@caminus.com]
> Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:01 AM
> To: community_garden@mallorn.com
> Subject: [cg] Office Spraying
> Hi Everyone, I have a question about pesticides and rodenticides being
> in work space.  Are there any laws that require employers to give prior
> notification of extermination services in the work space?
> Thanks,
> Stephanie Powers
> _______________________________________________
> community_garden maillist  -  community_garden@mallorn.com
> https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden
> _______________________________________________
> community_garden maillist  -  community_garden@mallorn.com
> https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

community_garden maillist  -  community_garden@mallorn.com

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index