Follow-up on Grocery store information

  • Subject: [cg] Follow-up on Grocery store information
  • From: JillWUGS@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:43:11 EDT

Dear All- Last July, I put a request on the Listserve seeking information on
financial incentives for preserving inner-city grocery stores. We were trying
to advocate for incentives to rebuild our neighborhood grocery store- that
served 2 inner city neighborhoods. With the information many of you provided,
we used it to make a good defense for the incentives. We had a very
supportive Mayor and Parks Commissioner at the time that championed it. They
were very forward thinking and unfortunately lost in the Fall election. We
owe them a great debt of gratitude. We also thank many of you across the
country who provided much valuable information, esp. Dr. Kami Pothukuchi. The
new Hy-Vee store on First Avenue opened yesterday- we will have many years of
improved food access because of everyone's help. (We hope we can market some
of our lacinato kale from our CG to the store.) Thanks to you all!-----jill
jones, Wellington Urban Gardeners, Wellington Heights Neighborhood
Association, Cedar Rapids, Iowa