Re: Agency gardens....I need advice

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Agency gardens....I need advice
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:28:24 EDT

Hi Shelly,
I have run into this situation several times, unfortunately the best
solutions are employed before hand.  When dealing with an agency that will
have a transient population working the garden you want to have a commitment
from the agency, not an individual, on paper.  The very nature of the work
will almost guarantee that there will be a turnover soon.  Include a cause
that states that you will provide, for a certain period, an intern garden
manager while a hiring search (that includes the garden as part of the job
description) takes place.  You can make the agency want to do this by
providing incentives- a stall at a market, free everything (which I guess you
are doing).  I use the guide lines from the ACGA which say get a three year
lease.  This may require a certification class for the intern, no big deal.
We have three certified D.O.C. supervisors in our program now.
We all want to work with folks who could benefit the most from a community
garden.  Try having a meeting with the general population and stress there is
a possibility of making a stipend of money selling the veggies you grow.  I
have seen this work very well.  Go for the gold and tell them about
sustainability, selling worms, fish, compost...
We lost a garden this year due to a job change, subsequent program change and
a land sale.  We had all put a lot of work into this mentoring program and it
disappeared overnight.  I agonized for a long while and in the end these are
the things I wish I had done better.
I hope this helps,