School Lunch and Community Garden

  • Subject: [cg] School Lunch and Community Garden
  • From: nan@toad.net
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:05:15 -0400 (EDT)

I am a 12 month horticulture teacher for a special education school(11-21), and
I am very interested to know if anyone has experience with school systems, in
allowing lunch programs to be supplemented with what the students grow in the
The lunch programs here seem to only allow us to sell "chocolate bars" in the
building.  If we take the food we grow from our community garden and "give" it
away (i.e.in the form of soups) during lunches apparently it is considered
competition, and not allowed in the 'nutrition' program.  I really want to
increase the food volume and quality and would like to know if anyone has any
experience or advice for me.  Any help would be appreciated. Looking for info
for Sept 2002.

N. McKay,HTT
Baltimore, MD

This mail sent via toadmail.com, web e-mail @ ToadNet - want to go fast?