PA regs on "scattering gardens"

Hi, Folks!

Thanks for all the responds. Anyway, according to my PA state rep's office, "there are no State laws or regulations dealing with the scattering of ashes." If one is caught, one might be cited for littering on public land, but otherwise, you can scatter ashes wherever you want in PA.

As we have acres of space (I love saying that just to watch Adam burn! [heh, heh ;->]), I wasn't planning to put the "scattering garden" in the veggie area. Since we've cleared out so much brush (and replaced it with a mixed perennial bed, a hardy kiwi pergola, a lilac/butterfly bush bed and now a Formal Herb Garden being designed by our Harvest Show Herb Best of Division winner), I thought maybe I'd get our designer to design something tasteful that would just be for the "scattering garden." The Lutheran Church in the Inquirer article had a bed shaped like a cross that was edged with stones and had both perennials and annuals. I was thinking more of a "Biblical Garden" theme as we don't currently have one.

The Lutheran Church also didn't have their memorials in the garden -- folks were listed on individual bronze plaques listed on a "Tree of Life" plaque on the wall of the Sanctuary. It also appears several PA churches have quiet, unannounced gardens tucked somewhere to scatter ashes -- there's nothing to mark them as "scattering gardens" as most folks prefer to be listed in the church, rather the garden.

Anyway, it's Consistory's call if the church offers this service, not mine, but around here, if you get an idea, you have to do all the legwork on it to present to Consistory so they are well-informed. Consistory is off for the summer, but thanks for everyone's help, I've got plenty of info to present! :-)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of