Southern Comforts: Organic Gardening Magazine Piece by Don Boekelheide

  • Subject: [cg] Southern Comforts: Organic Gardening Magazine Piece by Don Boekelheide
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:44:45 EDT

After my last blast, I'm not going to suggest y'all buy anything...

But Don Boekelheide's piece in the July/August 2003 'Organic Gardening '
about the  Charlotte,  North Carolina Wilmore Community Garden and its gardeners
is awfully fine.

It begins,
" On a long, sultry afternoon in Charlotte, North Carolina, Wilmore community
gardener Katie Grier is telling stories.  Much has changed in the American
South since the spring of 1925, when Grier was born in a little sharecropper's
cabin just a few miles from this spot.

"When I was a girl, " Katie is telling a teenaged friend, Tameka Crosby, "we
picked blackberries. Mom would can about a hundred quarts of blackberries a
year.  Once she'd get to a hundred, she'd stop." "

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Yankee admirer of good writing
 and community gardens