Re: oleander near herbs

  • Subject: Re: [cg] oleander near herbs
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:59:21 EDT

Re:
Greetings, I removed an oleander and planted tomatoes in the same
spot. I have herbs right next to it. The oleander roots are fine and
well-dispersed, so I did not get them all out. Is there a poisoning
danger other than that of inadvertently gathering oleander leaves
with the herbs ?  Do the other plants take the toxin from the roots or
leaves of the oleander via the soil and incorporate them in their
leaves and fruits ? Thank you.
John

As you know, Oleander is a common flowering ornamental shrub that is widely
utilized as a hedges, screens, and ornamentals.  Allowed to grow naturally it
produces a large number of stems and forms a dense clump.  The leathery leaves
are narrow, elongated and pointed at both ends.  Leaves are arranged in whorls
of two to three around the stem.  Oleander flowers are produced in clusters
on the upper part of the shrub nearly year round.  Flowers may be white, pink,
yellow, rose, or red. All parts of the plants are poisonous.  One leaf is
sufficient to kill an adult. A number of individuals have suffered from serious
poisoning after using the long straight branches to roast hot-dogs or
marshmallows at barbecues.  Inhaling smoke from burning oleander leaves or branches has
caused poisoning.

You really should contact your local agricultural extension agent, pronto on
all concerns like this which deal with garden safety and health:

Here is the link to the AZ agricultural extension which has all of its
contact numbers - http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/

This paper, which I quickly read through from UC Davis says that composted
Oleander may not be dangerous, DOES NOT say anything about uncomposted residual
roots in the ground and their absorption by food  plants.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/freeform/slosson/documents/1995-19982107.pdf

Off the top of my head, I'd  not plant food where an oleander had grown, nor
let children garden in it....but your agricultural agent should know best,
especially as the plant is common decorative plant used in Arizona.

Garden safely!

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,