Mississippi Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Mississippi Community Gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:34:10 EDT

It being a slow and humid day here in NYC, I was wondering...are there any
community gardens that anyone on the list knows of in Mississippi?

I read something about a 2001 USDA grant dealing with this group:

"Mississippi Food Network,
Jackson, Mississippi
$110,000 for two years

Contact: John T. Alford 601-353-6656

Bolviar and Holmes Counties in the Mississippi Delta will be served by this
project. More than 40% of the residents live in poverty and many suffer from
serious diet-related diseases. The project will provide income and means for
self-reliance for low-income households by breaking down cultural barriers in the
African American community to growing one's own food, by teaching sustainable
agriculture practices suited to low income growers, and by increasing
community gardens, market gardens, and a student-run seedling project. New farmers'
markets will be set-up and linked with WIC Farmers' Market Nutrition Program.
Community gardens in Head Start Centers will be linked with nutrition
education. Best practices models will be evaluated for replication in other sites. "

However, I didn't find anything else.  If you come across any of our cousins
in that state, could you please news of them to this list and to Mr. Jim Call
who manages our website, please?

Thanking you in advance,

Adam Honigman,
Curious Yankee