Re: rooftop agriculture

  • Subject: Re: [cg] rooftop agriculture
  • From: "Cynthia Price" skyprice@iserv.net
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:53:10 -0400

We in Grand Rapids are very interested in this subject too. We're also
interested in how to make rain gardens work to grow food. I've been told
that it's difficult (tho not impossible), and I don't know enough about it
to dispute that.

Last fall I saw a presentation by Conservation Design Forum's Jim Patchett
which referred to vegetables growing on a green roof in something like
Germany, but couldn't find any indication of it on CDF's site.

There was a (very expensive) conference at the end of May on green roofs,
but I imagine you know that since one of your people spoke at it. I couldn't
tell from the agenda if anyone was even considering food production up on
the roof. But I intend to continue looking into it and will share with you,
on or off list, what I find out, and hope you'll do the same.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council