Tiny tomato troubles

  • Subject: [cg] Tiny tomato troubles
  • From: "James Bourne" <JBourne@sarahlawrence.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:08:19 -0400

I'll admit it -- I've got tomato envy. Specifically, I planted several varieties of heirloom tomatoes in mid-March, in the "8 to 10 weeks before last frost date" window recommended by the catalogs. Since putting them out in the third week of May, I've noticed that they are 80-90% smaller than many other tomatoes I see in nearby plots. Did I plant too late? My tomatoes are 2-3 inches tall, after 2 1/2 months. I feel like something is amiss, but I'm not sure where I might've gone wrong. Are the others just steroid-bloated monstrosities? Input would be appreciated.

Thanks--

Jim