IMPORTANT REMINDER -LAST CHANCE!

  • Subject: [cg] IMPORTANT REMINDER -LAST CHANCE!
  • From: Amanda Blaine <ablaine@thefoodproject.org>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:44:54 -0400

APPLICATIONS due TOMORROW for DIG-IN; CADRE DEADLINE APPROACHING- SEE BELOW!
EMAIL US TODAY FOR INFO!

1. BLAST Youth Opportunity: ³Dig In² to the Northeast Food System!

Application due: June 8

The Food Project invites you to join us on a Dig-In, a 5-day hands-on tour
that will deepen your knowledge of food systems (both on an industrial- and
a micro-scale) in the Northeast region. With a group of other young people
ages 14 ­ 24, you¹ll get a behind-the-scenes experience at area farms,
supermarket distributors, and sustainably-minded restaurants, along with
other projects that are innovative and breaking the mold. The Northeast is
rich in agricultural history and paradoxes ­ much of our identity is rooted
in agriculture, but most of our food comes from elsewhere. You¹ll also get
to share with a diverse group of peers, including youth and staff from The
Food Project.

WHEN: August 1 ­ August 7, 2004

WHO: People between the ages of 14 ­ 24 who want to learn more about the
food system! Those who are also applying to The BLAST Youth Leadership Cadre
are eligible (and encouraged) to apply for this Dig-In.

COST: Full scholarships will be available for travel, lodging and other
expenses, based on need. Contact us for more info.

HOW TO APPLY: If you¹re interested, let us know right away and we¹ll send
you an application. Contact Anim at 617-442-1322, ext. 17 or
asteel@thefoodproject.org to learn more about this Dig-In and other youth
opportunities.

APPLICATIONS DUE: TUESDAY, JUNE 8
Decisions announced: Tuesday, June 15

We can¹t wait to hear from you!

2. Apply for The Food Project¹s BLAST YOUTH LEADERSHIP CADRE!

Application due: June 18th
Intent to apply: June 11th

<http://www.thefoodproject.org/newtfp/cadre.html>
The future of our food system ­ and therefore the health of our people and
land ­ depends on the creative energy, commitment, and leadership of young
people.
What is BLAST?

BLAST (Building Local Agricultural Systems Today) is a global network of
youth and adults working together to build sustainable food systems. Through
BLAST, we will foster a new generation of leaders who create innovative
solutions to the problems we face in our existing food system.

What is the BLAST Cadre?

A cadre is a select group of leaders who work together towards a common
goal. The BLAST cadre will bring together dynamic young people who want to
create sustainable food systems.

We believe that systemic change requires the broad participation of people
from every sector of society: producers and consumers, young and old,
marginalized and mainstream, policy-makers and constituents.  And we believe
that young people ­ by virtue of their natural creativity, energy, and age ­
are uniquely positioned to have a wide and long-lasting impact on the food
system. Members of the BLAST Cadre will work to broaden the message and
reach of community-based food systems.

Who is eligible?

If you have demonstrated your leadership and commitment to building
sustainable food systems ­ and you are within the ages of 16 to 24 ­ you are
encouraged to apply.

Want to learn more? Go to: www.thefoodproject.org/newtfp/cadre.html

For more about The Food Project, see www.thefoodproject.org.
--