RE: Theft 101

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Theft 101
  • From: "Kaitlyn S." <hackerkat@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:27:29 +0000

I live in Palm Beach County, Florida and none of the community gardens around here are locked either. Most have waist high wooden fences around them with a simple wooden gate that anyone can enter. So far the only problems that I have heard about are folks having some tomatoes or watermelons stolen and one time someone ripped all the notices off a bulletin board. I think one thing that works for us is there's nothing in our gardens to attract others- just the plants themselves. There are no benches, decorations or storage sheds. On designated work days, tools are brought in by the county employees and are taken back at the end of the day. The rest of the time it's up to the plot holders to bring their own tools. Since vegetable gardening isn't popular around here, I guess not to many folks care what we're growing and the places get left alone.
Janel

This life is a test... had it been a real life you would
have received instuctions on where to go and what to do.
                                     Angela Chase
                                   My-So-Called-Life

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org