LA Growing Communities Workshop -- Sign Up TODAY

  • Subject: [cg] LA Growing Communities Workshop -- Sign Up TODAY
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" <betsy@bgjohnson.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:34:33 -0400

GROWING COMMUNITIES WORKSHOP

Friday AND Saturday (Must attend both days)
July 23-24, 2004
8:30am-6:00pm, Friday; 8:30am-4:30pm Saturday
Morning refreshments and lunch will be provided on both days
Plan to enjoy a no-host group dinner at a local restaurant on Friday evening

Join the American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) and the University
of California Cooperative Extension Common Ground Garden Program in Los
Angeles County for an in-depth, hands-on workshop based on the ACGA?s
curriculum for leadership development, ?Growing Communities: Community
Building and Organizational Development through Community Gardening?. Learn
proven strategies that community organizers use to develop dynamic leaders
and create strong communities through a participatory approach to community
building. You will learn the principles and practices of community building,
and how to pass these techniques on to others in your community by
conducting your own workshops.

This two-day workshop will cover these topics:  Community Organizing,
Leadership Development, Grassroots Fundraising Basics, Communications
Planning, Coalition Building.

Participants receive the ?Growing Communities Curriculum,? a 300+ page
resource workbook, which includes curriculum materials that walk the reader
through the process of conducting training workshops. The Curriculum also
addresses Diversity, Asset-Based Community Development, Meeting Facilitation
and Group Decision-Making, Developing a Board of Directors, and Grassroots
Fundraising - Specific Strategies.

WORKSHOP LOCATION INFORMATION
·University of California Cooperative Extension Common Ground Garden Program
office
·4800 E. Cesar Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles 90022
·Southeast corner of Mednik Avenue
·Northeast of junction of 710 (Long Beach) and 60 (Pomona) freeways
·Private parking in building lot

REGISTRATION INFORMATION
·Registration is $45 per person for the two-day workshop.
·Partial registration scholarships of $30 are available for low-income
participants.
·Registration includes a copy of ?Growing Communities Curriculum,? a $40
value.
·Space is limited to 45 participants.
·Advance payment by check is required.
·No refunds.
·Questions?  Contact Gloria Mitchell, phone 323-260-3348, email
gjmitche@ucdavis.edu.

AIR TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
·Registrants make own transportation arrangements.
·Workshop location is approximately 30-40 minutes driving time from LAX,
Burbank, and Ontario airports.
·Two airport shuttle companies serve all three airports:
1)Super Shuttle (blue vans), phone 800-258-3826, www.supershuttle.com
2)Prime Time Shuttle (red vans), phone 800-733-8267,
www.primetimeshuttle.com
·For ACGA travel scholarship information, contact Betsy Johnson at
617-536-1711 or betsy@bgjohnson.com.

LODGING INFORMATION
·	Registrants make own lodging arrangements.
·	On Expedia or other web browser, use "East Los Angeles" as the city.   We
are just northeast of the junction of the 710 (Long Beach) and 60 (Pomona)
freeways.  From the 710 freeway, exit at Cesar Chavez Avenue and travel
east.  From the 60 freeway, exit at Atlantic and travel north.
·	Nearby hotels and rates for workshop dates listed on Expedia include:
Best Western Dragon Gate Inn ($79), Best Western Monterey Park Inn ($66),
Days Inn Downtown ($67), Days Inn Alhambra ($62), Hilton Checkers ($196),
Hilton Garden Inn Montebello ($89), Hyatt Regency Los Angeles ($133),
Marriott Los Angeles Downtown ($136), Millenium Biltmore ($132), Miyako Los
Angeles ($71), New Otani Hotel & Garden ($101), Omni Los Angeles ($332),
Stillwell ($66), Super 8 Los Angeles Downtown ($63), Super 8 Los Angeles
Alhambra ($48), Westin Bonaventure ($174) , Wilshire Grand ($99) , and
Wyndham Commerce ($105).

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

REGISTRATION FOR GROWING COMMUNITIES WORKSHOP

American Community Gardening Association and University of California
Cooperative Extension Common Ground Garden Program in Los Angeles County
July 23-24, 2004
University of California Cooperative Extension, 4800 E. Cesar Chavez Avenue,
Los Angeles, CA 90022

__ Yes!  I would like to attend.  I am mailing this registration form and my
$45 check (made payable to UC REGENTS) to Gloria Mitchell, Common Ground
Garden Program, UCCE, 4800 E. Cesar Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90022.

__ Yes!  I would like to attend and receive the partial scholarship.  I am
mailing this registration form and my $30 check (made payable to UC REGENTS)
to Gloria Mitchell, Common Ground Garden Program, UCCE, 4800 E. Cesar Chavez
Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90022.

Name
Organization
Street Address
City 				Zip
Phone 			Fax
Email

Please briefly explain your need for the partial scholarship:
_________________

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

CURRICULUM ONLY

___ No, I am not able to attend, but I would like the Growing Communities
curriculum for $35.  I am mailing this form and my $35 check (made payable
to ACGA) to ACGA, 51 Chambers Street #228, New York, NY 10007.

Name
Organization
Street Address
City 			Zip