In my mind I'm gardening in Carolina....

  • Subject: [cg] In my mind I'm gardening in Carolina....
  • From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:35:44 -0700 (PDT)

>   3. Schukoske article (deborah hayes)
>   4. Re: Schukoske article (adam36055@aol.com)

Hi, Deborah in Hendersonville, just up the hill,

I'm delighted to hear you're working on community
gardening up in the mountains! Mightly nice up your
way - Saluda, just down the road from you, is quite an
interesting little place, too. If we down in the hot
sweaty Piedmont can help in any way, please let us
know (besides, everyone down here is always looking
for an excuse to get to up the mountains).

We do have some established community gardens in
Charlotte (including Robbins Park, which was midwifed
by this listserv) that might be interesting to visit.
There is also a very very strong and established
program in Durham called 'SEEDS'.
http://www.seedsnc.org is their address.

Please do let me know if you find folks actively
involved in community gardening in Asheville. It used
to be that MAGIC was quite active, but haven't heard
much about them in awhile. I'd very much like to
establish a statewide (or both Carolina-wide)
'chapter' of ACGA, even if informally.

You're lucky where you are to have lots of inspiration
and resources. I know there's lots of Permaculture up
your way, a great 'organic growers school' at Blue
Ridge Community College at Flat Rock and Barbara
Pleasant, a very fine garden writer and the National
Gardening Assn upper south person lives up your way
somewhere. Frances Worthington in Greenville, SC, not
far from you, is another excellent garden writer with
possible ideas - she knows her stuff.

Another contact worth knowing about is NC A&T
(nowadays 'NCAT') in Greensboro, a historically Black
land grant school that's now part of the State
University system. Ellen Smoak and Bob Williamson,
profs at NCAT extension, have organized two helpful
statewide community gardening workshops in NC and have
developed a great youth program, 'down to earth'.
gets you to them.

Also, thanks for the lead on the article. The 2005
Community Greening Review, the ACGA annual journal, is
focusing on community garden research, and that's a
very valuable lead indeed.  (And thanks, as ever.
Adam, for the the lead on the lead).

Anyone else have suggestions on excellent research and
analysis of community gardening and greening?

Anyway, Deborah, good luck, and you lucky folks up
there will be able to grow apples like nobody's
business, too.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC