Re: insurance

  • Subject: Re: [cg] insurance
  • From: "Maria B. Pellerano" <maria@rachel.org>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:09:30 -0400

Hi,

Our local community gardens are on city-owned land.  Each year the group I
volunteer for, the Community Health & Environmental Coalition of New
Brunswick petitions the city to waive the insurance in the one garden that
we manage -- Suydam Street Community Garden.  The city waives the insurance
each time and therefore it falls under the city's insurance policy.  The
city treats these properties like parks so we have to get permission for all
non-gardening activities (a harvest festival) and have to follow the general
rules of the parks (no alcohol, no after dark work, etc.).  This arrangement
allows our all volunteer group to run a garden and gives the city enough
oversight to make them safe places.

Maria
Member, Suydam Street Community Garden Committee
New Brunswick

Maria Pellerano, Associate Director
Environmental Research Foundation
Rachel's Environment & Health News
P.O. Box 160, New Brunswick, NJ  08903-0160
Phone: (732) 828-9995; Fax: (732) 791-4603
E-mail: maria@rachel.org; Web site: http://www.rachel.org/