Onelaska, Wisconsin: Onelaska Community Garden Feeds the Hungry

  • Subject: [cg] Onelaska, Wisconsin: Onelaska Community Garden Feeds the Hungry
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:54:30 EDT

Onalaska church makes new garden grow

By GAYDA HOLLNAGEL / La Crosse Tribune

ONALASKA, Wis. - Members of the Onalaska Church of Christ are hoping to reach out to their neighbors this summer with gifts of garden fresh potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and beans.

The congregation, led by church member Laura Falkner and Reggie Destree, a volunteer organic gardening consultant, expect to harvest all those fresh vegetables and more from a half-acre garden plot developed next to the church playground on the east side of the church at 1415 Well St.

"It's the Onalaska Community Garden sponsored by the Onalaska Church of Christ," Falkner said of the project. "Mostly we'd like to serve our community, and this is one way we can."

So far, the garden has yielded mostly lettuce, spinach and peas, but

other crops, including beets, green beans, onions, leeks, potatoes, tomatoes and cabbage, are in and growing.

Both Falkner and Destree have plenty of gardening experience. Falkner was coordinator of the Kane Street Community Garden in La Crosse for five years, and Destree volunteered there for about six years.

The garden is needed in Onalaska, Falkner said.

"The need in Onalaska is growing," she said.

Many Onalaska residents do not have transportation to visit the Kane Street garden or the South Side Community Garden, she said.

Volunteers are welcome to help with weeding and harvesting Wednesday evenings, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Food distribution will be held after the evening's harvest, and anyone is welcome, Falkner said.

"We're planning to produce a lot of organic produce for people of all incomes," she said.

Gayda Hollnagel can be reached at (608) 791-8224 or at ghollnagel@lacrossetribune.com.