Gino and the Community Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Gino and the Community Garden
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:06:01 -0500

A CASA Community Garden story on this rainy day in Alabama.

A few years ago at our old garden location, I was conducting a harvesting
session one afternoon.  Our volunteers were almost finished picking
vegetables and we were in the process of weighing them and logging the
totals in our record book.  I happened to look up and lo and behold, there
was a guy carrying a rather expensive camera walking up to the garden arbor
followed by a small group of the most beautiful volunteers I have ever seen.

As they approached, I spoke to them in my best southern English, "how ya'll
doin' today"?  He said they were doing just fine.  I asked them if they were
there to help harvest the garden.  The guy holding the camera said he wanted
to shoot some pictures of the scarecrows, if it was alright with me.  He
said he liked the way they looked in the garden.

I told them to wait a few minutes and I would dismiss our volunteer group
for the day and I would be leaving as well. One by one, as they got into
their cars to leave, the volunteers just stared at the photographer and his
entourage.  They were dressed in a kind of Chip-N-Dale type black formal
attire. The ladies were wearing low cut tops. It was pretty clear to me that
this group wasn't just interested in the scarecrows so I gave them a few
rules prior to leaving.  The main rule is to not touch or step on any
vegetable in the garden.

The guy in charge said that they would be very careful.  He said if I wanted
some of the pictures, he would have them available the following week.  He
handed me a business card with one word on it... Gino, along with a
telephone number.

So I left the garden to this most unusual group. As I drove away, I looked
back one last time.  I observed the group situating themselves around a
scarecrow. The ladies were sitting on a large hay bale next to it and the
guys were in the process of removing their shirts.

If our community garden could have spoken that day, I'm sure it would have
revealed an interesting story.

Have a great day,

Jim
www.casagarden.com