FW: Eat In, Act Out Update

  • Subject: [cg] FW: Eat In, Act Out Update
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:05:08 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Monica Pless [mailto:mpless@thefoodproject.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 4:09 PM
To: Cammy Watts
Subject: Eat In, Act Out Update: film suggestions
Hi Everyone!

I want to update everyone on Eat In, Act Out week.  You can also check
out these updates online at

Now the groups for Eat In, Act Out week are coming fast and furious!  I
am hearing so many ideas for events that I would love to attend or try
to coordinate here as well.  Right now, I've heard from 47 groups
planning events in 24 states and 4 countries.  Here are a few of the new
events I'm hearing about:
I've been working with a few individuals here in Centre Co. to organize
an event for Eat In, Act Out week.  We've decided to host a local foods
dinner on Thursday, August 4th at Stone Soup Market, Pennsylvania's
Community Marketplace, and we're going to gear it towards youth.  The
minor details are still being figured out, but it's in the works!
    -- Dru Montri, Pennsylvania

I host a monthly Food from the 'Aina (land) community potluck to share
good food and fellowship. This group is interested in participating in
the Eat in,  Act out week.  We have teachers willing to do taste testing
in the classrooms.    There is also thoughts of an art project to create
a logo for "Eat Local, grown by our own" campaign. A panel or round
table discussion has been proposed to hear farmers, produce buyers and
restaurateurs on supporting local foods. A large community potluck is
planned to finish the week's events.   do you have any suggestions on
documentary films to show during that week?

-- Tere Moody, Hawai'i
Here are some films you might watch:
Full length/45 minutes or more:
*	The Future of Food: 2 hour documentary focusing on the dangers
of relying heavily on genetically modified food, especially due to loss
of seed diversity and greater dependence of farmers on seed, pesticide
and fertilizer suppliers.
*	Earth on the Edge: a PBS Bill Moyer 2 hour program.  The first
part is about sustainable ag. Focus is on no-till farming in Kansas, and
ecosystems on which humans depend.
*	Supersize Me: a documentary covering one man's experiment to eat
nothing but McDonalds food for a month, and limit his exercise.
Highlights the health dangers of fast food.
*	Broken Limbs: Apples Agriculture and the New American Farmer: a
1 hour documentary by Guy Evans, looking at the disappearance of small
apple farmers from the Northwest
*	The Global Banquet: Politics of Food (2 parts, 25 minutes each).
All about free trade policies helping international producers at the
expense of small farmers.  Part 2: short term profits and the effect of
low cost cash crops and genetically modified crops on the environment.

*	The True Cost of Food: 15 minute cartoon by the Sierra Club that
covers a lot of why local and organic food is cheaper in the long run
when you consider all the costs to the environment and health.
*	Store Wars: a 7 minute spoof of Star Wars, focusing on the
difference between organic and conventionally raised produce, and the
voice consumers have with their food dollar.
*	The Meatrix: a 6 minute spoof of the Matrix, focusing on the
dangers to the environment and human health caused by factory farming.

We will be reviewing a bunch of films over the next two weeks, since we
want to show food system films to our youth once a week this summer, so
I will post other good films on the website as I watch them.  If you
know of other films which would be good to show as an Eat In, Act Out
event, let me know (and send a sentence about the film's focus) and I
will post them online.

If you know of other groups who would be interested in participating in
Eat In, Act Out week, you can forward them the announcement attached to
this email.  I hope everyone is having a great growing season, and thank
you for all the great work you do!

Monica Pless
BLAST Fellow
The Food Project
P.O. Box 705/10 Lewis St.
Lincoln, MA  01773
Phone:  781-259-8621 x22
Fax:  781-259-9659

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of EatInActOutOnePag[1].doc]