[cg] Lead Levels in Community Gardens

Greetings, all:

I'm one of the partners in an EPA sustainability grant, where one of the
major components is community gardening.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that a few of the other partners are minimizing the risks of
lead in the soil and pushing for using what I would consider low standards.
I've generally assumed that over 200 ppm for lead would be too high for
growing vegetables.

I would really appreciate those of you who have lead and other heavy metal
standards for your gardens letting me know what they are, either by posting
them to the list (I suspect others might be interested as well) or to me
privately.  Also, if you've worked on any phytoremediation projects with
sites that have tested too high, I'd really like to hear about those
projects, too.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn Ripley

Dawn M. Ripley
County Extension Agent for Urban Programs	(502) 425-4482
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service	(502) 425-0109 (fax)
8012 Vinecrest Avenue, Suite 1			ripley@iglou.com (home)
Louisville, Kentucky 40222-4690			dripley@ca.uky.edu (work)