[cg] city funding

  • Subject: [cg] city funding
  • From: "Grow Power (Hope Finkelstein)" <gropower@danenet.wicip.org>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:30:54 -0500 (CDT)

A report and action plan produced by the City of Madison Community
Gardens Advisory Committee is about to be presented to the common council
for approval. Of course, council members are all supportive of community
gardens until they hear that we're asking them to support the gardens with
the kind of green stuff they control...$$$$.  There are two specific areas
that implicate the city coffers.

1)After doing our research, we found that communities who have some kind
of city staff person representng community gardens seems to be a real
benefit.  Consequently, we have requested cto establish a
community gardens coordinator with in the city.  This does not
replace nonprofit work in community gardens.  This position would
help to cooridnate public resources necessary for cgs to work
better.

The question to all of you....

WHich communities in the US have cg staff positions within the city? What
do they do? and what is the financial source funding the position? CDBG?
city's gneral funds? etc.?

(we have some info about Seattle and Portland, others would be extremely
helpful)

2)The other area in which we are asking for some money is to create a set
aside fund  for the purchase of new community gardens or preservation of
exisitng cgs.  Similar to how cities buy parkland we wnat the city to buy
land for the purpose of cg.  We have some info about NeighborSpace in
Chicago...

Do you know of any communities which puts public monies into the purchase
or preservation of cgs?  How many of you have
city/State funding relationships?

In general, it would help us out a great deal if you could respond with
any info regarding municipal $support for cgs. This would also include
$support of nonprofits.

THANKS SO MUCH.

We will compile all the information we receive for everyones benefit.

remember...together we're growing power.

HOPE