Re: Pesticides

Hi, Judi!

>1.  Are there our community garden
>directors that would be willing to share with us their rules/regulations as
>possible models?

Our community garden states that "no chemical pesticides, herbicides,
fertilizers and/or CCA "pressure-treated" wood is permitted in the garden.
Anyone who disregards this requirement forfits their plot IMMEDIATELY"  We
have not had any problem with this regulation -- folks are *VERY* willing to
comply.

Of course, it is also best to have references avaiable so that folks can
figure out what to do if they have a pest problem.  I encourage folks to
call or e-mail me at any time and I make no secret of the fack that I refer
to my Rodale reference books often -- no one should feel that they have to
remember the intricaties of organic gardening in their head.  I also give
out handouts listing the reference books available at the Phoenixville
Library and the phone numbers for the extension agents.  Here in PA, the
extension agents are QUITE willing to look up organic solutions to problems
and ecourage folks to ask about it.

In my experience, you can go ahead and require organics with very little to
no controversy among potential gardeners -- especially if folks have small
children to feed.  Many low-income folks WANT to buy organic produce for
their kids, but can't afford it.  In my experience, they LEAP to the
opportunity to GROW organic for their kids, grandkids, etc as long as you
provide the reference materials so that they can do it properly.

My suggestions is to go for it.  I doubt, if you prepare properly, that
you'll have any problems.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of