Why I disappeared for awhile. . .

Hi, Folks!

Thought you folks might be interested in what my community garden has been
doing with its time lately -- here is the official press release I whipped
up yesterday.  The only reason we got that blue ribbon is because of the
good karma Adam promises everyone when they join ACGA! :-D

Dorene

COMMUNITY GARDENERS WIN BLUE RIBBON ON FIRST TRY AT PHILADEPHIA FLOWER SHOW

Carla Pomponi and Irene Sobotincic, floral designers with St. John's United
Church of Christ Organic Community Garden in Phoenixville, PA, won the Blue
Ribbon (First Prize) for their entry in the "Foliage Fever:  Windowbox With
Hanging Basket" class at the 2001 Philadelphia Flower Show. This was the
community garden's (and the pair's) first year as Exhibitors in the Show.

The exhibit, entitled "Phoenixville:  On the Garden Frontier,"  was inspired
by an exceptionally difficult past growing season at the community garden.
As Pomponi wrote in their display's intent:

We've toiled and tilled and planted together.
We've hit rock; dug clay; prayed for good weather.
The deer tried to feast on our love, sweat and tears.
>From dought to rain!!! The slugs!  The fear!
But thriving at last, hardy and strong:
Small garden of color, green thumb all along!

Sobotincic and Pomponi's design combined traditional foliage plants with
herbs and rare heirloom plants
such as RED SPANISH sweetpotato (first brought to the US in 1640) which are
grown for Seed Savers Exchange at St. John's United Church of Christ Organic
Community Garden.  In their comments, the judges paid tribute both to
Pomponi and Sobotincic's design skills and the community garden's commitment
to promoting heirloom vegetables saying that:

"The strong design coordinates two distinct elements succesfully.  The
quality and variety of plants are outstanding."

The community garden also entered 9 plants in the Horticultural Division for
the Saturday, Tuesday and Friday judging cycle.  Dorene Pasekoff, the Garden
Coordinator, received a Second Place (Red Ribbon) in the Friday "Beginner's
Luck" Class, open to first-time Flower Show Exhibitors, for her African Milk
Bush.  The following gardeners received Honorable Mentions (White Ribbons)
during the judging cycle:

Sedevaria, Ed O'Neill (Saturday)
Scilla, Carla Pomponi (Tuesday)
African Milk Bush, Dorene Pasekoff (Saturday & Tuesday)
Golden Pothos Hanging Basket, Carla Pomponi (Friday)
String of Pears Hanging Basket, Carla Pomponi (Friday)

St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden opens for its
10th season on March 31, 2001.  25 foot square plots are free to anyone in
the Phoenixville area who agrees to garden organically and make the Biblical
Tithe (10%) of their harvest either to the Food Bank at Phoenixville Area
Community Services or to someone in need. For more information on securing a
plot for the 2001 gardening season or to inquire about volunteer
opportunities through the year, contact St. John's United Church of Christ,
315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA 19460 or call the church at 610-933-5311.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of