Re: sharing the harvest

Hi Jen, please lets keep in touch.  I am a garden coordinator for the city of Seattle and have just embarked on this very thing.  Garden sites are hard to find in certain areas of town and some neighborhood groups need the additional support to garden.  One site is moving along well, it is called the giving garden, and most people gardening it are human service agencies, transitional housing tenants, homeless people, and area residents that want to help out (they do as Adam mentioned also have their own plot to garden in this garden, but not all).  It is in its infancy but is being managed by an area resident who is wanting to work with people.  I also find it a great tool for people waiting to get into the garden, if they have the commitment I give them the opportunity to start in the giving garden as they wait for a plot of their own.  So far so good, but again just starting out, maybe it is the "giving" nature of the garden?
The second one is also just starting out, basically I took the square footage of the whole garden and divided it by 100 square feet and that is how many families that are going to communally garden it.  I am sure it will be more complicated because, yes people are the main factor no matter what, but again it is starting out and this is it, people know the set up from the beginning.  The key will be to establish a structure: what to plant, when, maintaining the garden, and of coarse a method to harvest and distribute.
I will be happy to keep you posted and hope that you do the same in this direction.  I think this can succeed!

Sandy Pernitz
Dept. of Neighborhoods, (City of Seattle)
P-Patch Community Gardening Program
"When you cease to make a contribution you begin to die."
Eleanor Roosevelt

>>> "Jen Anonia" <youthfarm@foodforlanecounty.org> 03/15/01 09:24AM >>>
I'm helping a neighborhood establish a small community garden.  They don't
want to have individual plots (because it's so small).  Instead, everyone
will share in the work and share in the harvest.  Are there good models out
there for doing such a collaborative garden?, especially with a neighborhood
that doesn't have a hisotry in collaborating on projects? -- almost no on
knows each other.  Any advice on guidelines?

community_garden maillist  -  community_garden@mallorn.com