question on a plant in the evergreen family

Dear Sir or Miss:

I have a Golden Shrub Daisy my question is over the winter time the stocks turned brown and looks dead .  My next question is is it dead or does it needs to be cut to the ground for new to grow.  During the summer it looked like the picture on the card pretty yellow daisys.  I hope it is not dead.  Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Sincerely,

Donna