Australian speakers

Title: American Comm Garden Assoc
-----Original Message-----
From: Sustainable Futures [mailto:syzygy@squirrel.com.au]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 10:58 PM
To: smccabe@pennhort.org; sallymcc@libertynet.org
Subject: American Comm Garden Assoc

We would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves to you.  Our names are Morag Gamble and Evan Raymond.  We are from Crystal Waters Permaculture Village in Queensland, Australia.

We will be in the San Francisco area  from June 20 - July 2, 2001.  We have been invited to co-teach a course at the Eco-village Training Center in Tennessee (3-23 July) and will also be hosted by the Center for Ecoliteracy  in Berkeley before teaching in Japan.

In the time we have available  before our teaching commitments we would very much like to make links and present talks for  organisations and projects involved in eco-design, permaculture, ecovillages, urban agriculture and environmental education.

Last year we spent 2 months on a similar teaching and research tour in the UK and Italy and in that time gave presentations to over 25 groups.  The information exchange and cross-cultural exchange was a very valuable experience.

We are available to make presentations about Crystal Waters Permaculture Village, Permaculture, City Farms and Community Gardens, Sustainable Community Development and Environmental Education.  Please contact us if you are interested in arranging a talk on one or more of these topics (see outlines below).  We would be grateful of you could pass this message to others you know might be interested in meeting with us during our visit.

We are available to present talks and slide shows about:

Slide show and discussion: 1-3 hours

Our home and the venue for our courses and workshops is Crystal Waters
Permaculture Village. Crystal Waters is a leading-edge centre for
sustainability education and an internationally recognised ecologically
designed settlement.  This village, established in 1989, is home to 200
permanent residents and abundant wildlife.  It is one of the first villages
in the world designed using the principles of Permaculture and offers
guidance for future planning and design of sustainable human settlements.
Crystal Waters received the United Nations World Habitat Award in 1995 for
its "pioneering ways in demonstrating new low impact and sustainable ways of
living" and has been listed in the top 40 of the UN Best Practices database.

There are many aspects of Crystal Waters and ecovillage design we can
present and discuss.  We are open presenting an overview or focussing on
particular issues which are of interest to your organisation.

Also available: Crystal Waters video 15 minutes
Morag is currently writing a book about the residents of this eco-village,
their lives and work.

Slide Show and discussion  1.5 - 3.5 hours

An exploration of the ethics and principles of Permaculture and their
broad-ranging application in urban and rural areas, in homes and schools,
in western and non-western countries.

Slide Presentation and Discussion – 1-2 hours

Morag and Evan are co-founders of a city farm in the heart of Brisbane.
Since the establishment of Northey Street City Farm in 1994, the project
participants have successfully transformed a one hectare piece of parkland
into an abundant food forest thriving community centre and place of
learning.  This city farm has been a launching platform for numerous other
positive initiatives in the local area, and has pioneered the concept of
city farms in the state of Queensland.  Morag and Evan have shared the
inspiring story of Northey Street City Farm around the world, and as
co-founders and regional co-ordinators of the Australian City Farms and
Community Gardens Network, are also able to share the experiences of
projects from around Australia

Slide Presentation and Discussion  1-2 hours

In a remote village in the west of Bali, a holistic community-led model of
sustainable village development is emerging.  The project aims include
forest conservation and restoration, catchment management, sustainable
agriculture, seed-saving, eco-tourism, small eco-enterprise development for
women/youth,  edible schoolyards, etc  It is an inspiring story
demonstrating that the current path of development, globalisation and
consumer-culture is not inevitably the path of progress. It helps us to
redefine terms ‘progress’ and ‘development’ and see our own culture and the
changes we need to make much more clearly.

Also in Bali , barren schoolyards and classrooms are being transformed into
interactive, productive and inspiring learning environments – environments
which aid understanding of our interconnected relationship with nature and
provide fresh local nutritious food.

These village primary schools throughout Bali are trialing the new
environmental education curriculum which is set to become an integrated part
of the Indonesian National curriculum.

Morag is has been actively involved in the development of these projects and
spends a few months a year in Bali as a trainer and consultant.

Morag Gamble and Evan Raymond live and work at the award winning Crystal
Waters Permaculture Village in Queensland,  Australia.

Morag an Evan are teachers of ecological design and permaculture. They have
led courses and workshops in eight countries.  Their programs range from
half-day introductory workshops to 2 week intensive residential certificate
courses.  These attract international participants from a wide variety of
backgrounds.  Through the Crystal Waters College which they have recently
co-founded, they offer the following:

  • Ecovillage Design Program - ecovillage design course and practicum
  • Permaculture Program - permaculture design certificate course, hands-on permaculture workshops, city farm permaculture design workshops, seminars
  • International Ecological Studies Program - a program of courses led by International Scholars

They manage an ecological design firm and for almost a decade they have been
actively working both in Australia and around the world with community-based
organisations creating and supporting the successful development of projects
in both urban and rural areas.

They established Permaculture Brisbane and are two of the founders of
Northey Street City Farm. They are co-founders of the Australian City Farms
and Community Gardens Network, local food initiatives, community festivals
and environmental education programs.  They are co-founders of the
International Ecological Studies Program and the Crystal Waters College and
work very closely with the Global Ecovillage Network Oceania/Asia Inc.
Morag has also been a Director of the Crystal Waters Community Co-op since
1998 and is an advisor to IDEP - an Indonesian Foundation for environmental
education and sustainable development based in Bali.  She is currently
developing a national environmental curriculum for Indonesian primary
schools and works with a number of villages in the establishment of a
community led sustainable community development project in the west of Bali.
Morag Gamble holds a Bachelor of Environmental Planning and Design, and a
Postgraduate Diploma of Environmental Planning and Design (Landscape
Architecture) from the University of Melbourne and has studied extensively
at Schumacher College in England - an international centre for ecological
thinking.  Evan Raymond holds a degree in Coastal Management from Southern
Cross University and a Postgraduate Diploma of Geographical Information
Systems from the University of Queensland.

50 Crystal Waters
MS16 Maleny QLD 4552

ph/fax: +61 (0)7 5494 4833

Sustainable Futures of Crystal Waters aims to help people develop the
practical knowledge and skills to create a sustainable future by providing
and teaching practical courses and workshops internationally; assisting
individuals and communities to engage in sustainable planning and design;
and writing and distributing publications about sustainable ways of living.