defining "organic" standards

Hello, gardeners:

Our program needs help!  Our gardens are supposedly pesticide- and
herbicide-free.  That is not the reality, however.  We are undertaking
efforts to enforce this rule fairly and with an educational slant.  I am not
a chemist, nor even a horticultural expert of any sort.  The more I try to
learn about this, the more "shades of gray" I discover.  Does anyone out
there have any simple, straight-forward, user-friendly guidelines that spell
out, unequivocally, what isn't allowed (brand names, etc.), why it's not
allowed, and alternative solutions that might be tried?

I am grateful for whatever assistance any of you out there are able to
offer.

Thanks,

Amy

Amy Sanger
Program Assistant
Community Gardening Program
City of San Josť Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services
1295 Johnson Avenue
San Josť, CA   95129
(408) 277-4573
amy.sanger@ci.sj.ca.us