RE: defining "organic" standards

Amy:

When dealing with "authorities" on what best organic practices are, I have
discovered that once you're gotten past the chemicals, the bio-engineeered
crap and all, the process becomes almost theological - almost like the
discussions between Sephardic and Ashkenazic rabbis on whether rice is
Kosher for Passover or not ( the solution is that the Sephardic, or Spanish/
Mediterranean/North African jews are permitted to eat rice  during Passover
whereas the European -Central Asians do not.) As my wife is Sephardic, I eat
rice during Passover without theological qualms. Organic gardening best
practices can get equally as talmudic. It gets to the point of  medieval
scholastic theologians counting the number of angels that can dance on the
head of a pin...

However, here are some places where you can go for enlightenment:

1) There are best organic practices available to you on many of the Websites
listed on the ACGA links http://www.communitygarden.org - the Eagle Heights
Garden n Wisconsin has a good document for you to access, the OCIA 1994
standards: http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/garden/ocia.html

2) You have probably the best organization in the country for organic
farming and standards in your back yard, The California Certified Organic
Farmers:

http://www.ccof.org/

3) Here's the site for our "rabbis" in the Northeast, the Northeast Organic
Farming Organization:

http://www.nofa.org/

4) Here is a European Organic Farming page that should confuse you even
further:

http://www.organic-europe.net/default.asp

Great luck on deciding on the organic guidelines for your gardens. Remember,
however, that community gardening is always people first, gardens second.

Shalom,

Adam Honigman