Re: [ healing gardens]

  • Subject: Re: [[cg] healing gardens]
  • From: mary bedard <m-bedard@usa.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:53:07 -0700

I have designed 2 healing gardens in California, although one was not built.
In addition, my Master's thesis research was on public space as healing
garden, and included guidelines for design considerations.  My undergraduate
thesis also dealt with a healing garden that included a community garden (this
is the one that didn't get built, but it's a great design!) This project is
the subject of an article I wrote for the _Journal of Therapeutic
Horticulture_, dated 1999. The American Horticulture Therapy Assoc. website is
See also the Therapeutic Landscapes database
<http://www.healinglandscapes.org/> put together by my friend & landscape
designer Naomi Sachs, which has listings of designers, garden locations, and
research.  Marni Barnes and Clare Cooper Marcus are the goddesses of research
in this area, in my opinion, and there are other practice-based designers
listed, too.
I would be happy to talk with you about any aspect of healing landscapes, or
steer you to information that might help you.
Mary Bedard
Friends of Portland Community Gardens and
Landscape Designer & Planner
Mitchell Nelson Group, LLC
71 SW Oak St., Suite 100
Portland, OR  97204
503-944-2167 (day)

BTW, I'm not a starry-eyed idealist fresh from school - I was a late-bloomer
and didn't get my degrees until just recently ... :)
And thank goodness for starry-eyed idealists!!