Re: Soil

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Soil
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" <libby@igc.org>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:17:29 -0500

Title: Re: [cg] Soil
Teresa,

It's true that over time the addition of compost will help neutralize your pH; however plants like beans, peppers and tomatoes are not seriously fond of higher pH's.

We've used coffee grounds to lower the pH, but unless you buy organic coffee or Starbucks sells it, it might be hard to find organic coffee grounds. On the other hand, having been brewed might have leached out anything you don't want.

If you can find meal from organically grown cotton seed, that would work too.

Has your soil been tested for other ingredients? Our garden was an old school with lots of bricks and mortar still in the ground, and our pH was only 7.8. You might want to find out what else is going on with yours.

Good luck,

Libby
--
                             Philadelphia, PA